Races

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day Four

I have some seriously huge song association sensory receptors. Same with smell. I'll talk about smell first.

I worked in a factory for 3 days when I was 19. My job was to pound dirt down into a box and staple the four corners with a foot pedal and then pass it along. On my third day of working there, I was sent on my coffee break (where I developed a nearly unshakeable addiction to powdered chemical coffee creamer) and then when I returned, I was sent to a new spot: along the rose bushes belt. My new job was to grab a branch of rose bushes and put it on a different belt behind me. I learned quite quickly that it was necessary to eyeball the branches as early as possible so as to grab the ones with the least amount of thorns.

I was doing quite well at grabbing all the barest of the bare thorn bushes until the lady beside me grabbed the same one as I did, at the same time, and didn't let go. I was like, "whoa lady, that's my branch." And she was like, "LET GO OF MY BUSH, BITCH." For real. But the thing is, is she smelled like this certain kind of perfume, and it's a super popular one and to this day I smell it everywhere.

I'll be walking through some totally random place, like a tire centre, and I'll smell the bush lady.

It sucks.

I quit the factory, and went back to work at Sport Mart. Dream big!

I was totally going to talk about song association sensory receptors, but I'll do that tomorrow because, oh wow, I just wrote a whole lot about nothing.


2 comments:

  1. ooooh. smells are huge for me, and so are songs. I'll hear some song and BAM I'm back in grade 9 crushing on some guy and wondering if I should call in to the Friday night radio show and dedicate the song to him. Lame.

    ReplyDelete