Races

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hold On

I recently reconnected with a friend from elementary school and he wrote: "I can't wait to hear about your life! I hope it has been as happy as I remember you to be! You were always so happy and funny!" And when I read that, I broke out into this huge grin and my eyes got all watery. I want to hold onto that little girl inside of me, you know? That happy and funny kid. I really don't ever want to lose her.

What were you guys like as kids? What were you known for? Do you have the same attributes and character traits now as you did back then?

In grade six I wore Ocean Pacific tee shirts and jogging pants. I had zero boobs, and didn't give a shit about boys unless they could match me in a running race. I played with My Little Ponies past a socially acceptable age, and my report cards, although peppered with "A's" were filled with pleadings by my teachers to get Suzy to stop talking to her peers and do her work already.

My grade one and two teacher's name was Miss Junk, and my grade five teacher was Mr. Wood. It was in fifth grade that I threw a boy's pants into a pile of sawdust-covered vomit in the hallway for calling my bff a bad name. And you know who that boy was? The one who just asked me if my life is as happy as he remembers me to be. I guess he forgives me.

Life deals us cards, and we roll with the punches, but I won't be purging my happy and funny. I'd like to keep them both, thanks.




4 comments:

  1. Great memory. I think I am totally different and yet the same as I was 30 years ago in grade six. I have changed immensely...yet, I am still the biggest dumbass (sometimes in a good way) that you will ever know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, you get it. Hold onto the Good Stuff, and let go of the things that hold us back. And dumbassery isn't necessarily a bad thing. :-) I know from personal experience.

      Delete
  2. Did you remind this guy what you did to his pants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes, I did! We talked about it and he totally remembers it! Good stuff. Life rules, sometimes. It just does.

      Delete