Races

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Blazing Battles

The morning after our wedding, I had to wake everyone up really early to get Freddy to his soccer game. I set my alarm on my phone, and when it went off I forced my eyes open just long enough to turn off the obnoxious ringing. Closing my eyes and burying my face back into my pillow, I noticed that I could still see my phone screen lit up behind my eyelids.

Maybe I don't get out much, but I find it fascinating how I could see the details of my screen with my eyes closed even after only looking at it for a split second! Glowing like a hot fire before me, I could read the writing on my iPhone wallpaper: "Worry is a misuse of imagination."

We've all heard how adversity builds character, right? Well Andrew thinks that adversity doesn't build character so much as it shows the world who has got it. Whatever we focus on in the daylight grows us and forms us and then when the lights go out, these things will be what give us the light we need to see through the darkness. If we don't toss a line to the people we love when the going is good, then chances are we won't have anything to hold onto when we're stumbling around through the fog.

I've heard more religious people pray for things they need than ones who thank their God for the things they already have. We walk around like we're entitled to a smooth ride, self-absorbed and stuck in our driver's seat but as soon as we hit a detour we throw our hands in the air and weep bitterly for our misfortune. We wonder why we don't see God in the darkness? Maybe because we don't first notice him in the light.

I completely suck at this--don't get me wrong. If my lights were to go out right this second, I guarantee that the only things left glowing in the dark would be things like Halloween candy and my Costco list. I want to be that person who, when stepping into adversity is guided by the resplendent glow of goodness. I'll get there one day, I hope. As long as I first warm my cold little heart by the heat lamps of gratitude, service, and love. Right after I finish this chocolate bar.


3 comments:

  1. So did you get to the soccer game? I'm just saying you shouldn't miss something like that. Even the day after a wedding and all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Yes we made it. And all the way to Chilliwack!

      Delete
  2. Suz, love this post, as well as the Lables 'God, useless banter". You crack me up & inspire all at the same time.

    Guessing there is no honeymoon or babymoon on your horizon...?

    ReplyDelete