Races

Monday, December 1, 2014

Mileage Monday

It was Seattle Marathon week for Andrew so while he tapered, I gobbled up the leftover miles like Pac-Man. Ideally I would like to do one 20-mile run per month. Twenty is the magic number as far as optimizing fitness, preparing the body and mind for a marathon, but also keeping it at a level where quick recovery is possible. Anything over 20 miles and I'm wiped out for a couple of days. I was able to squeeze in a 20 miler on Monday, topping out at 70 miles for the week while fitting in a rest day on Saturday!

Monday: My life isn't conducive to planning out runs so when the opportunity presents itself, I jump on it. I left Andrew in charge of Callum's naptime, and after I dropped Katie off at school I headed out for 20 miles. I did one loop of 14 miles, had a water break (and kept my watch running) and then finished it off with 6 miles. I was able to do it in a respectable 2:36. Then it was home, shower, and life goes on.

Tuesday: A recovery 7 miles on the therapymill followed by some stretching.

Wednesday: What a gross morning. Callum woke up at 5am. UGH! So when I put him down for his nap, I knew he'd sleep for a long time so I watched Netflix and ran 13 miles on the treadmill. But then later on, we had a free night to ourselves so after Andrew went for a run, I took off outside in the dark (my favourite time to run) for 5 miles. Then we went to El Nopal!

Thursday: I met Lora for a 10 miler along the dyke out here. We went slow and talked and solved the world's problems. They all grew back like chia by the time we got to our cars but hey. At least we had an hour of peace.

Friday: I was at home with a million kids and their friends all day so I was extremely ready to go for a run the second Andrew came home. Except Callum decided to go poo while he was playing in the bathtub so I spent some time scrubbing the tub out with lavender-scented Lysol. I guess I got it on my finger (not poo, the Lysol) because while I ran, I'd blow my nose into my glove and smell chemicals. Typical Friday night, I suppose.

Saturday: Rest Day! Drove down to Seattle for the marathon.

Sunday: Andrew powered through his second marathon in 4:32, taking 22 minutes off his previous time from only 3 months ago! Race re-cap next week.

2 comments:

  1. I only ever ran one marathon. Did it in 3:53 and only trained 3 weeks prior. I must say your 70 mile weeks is way too much running... even if some of it is on the treadmill. In a 3 to 4 month training program for a marathon you max out at 20 - 22 miles... your goal of a 20 miler per month is excessive. Watch out for injury. I know a guy training for an ULTRA that does 70 miles a week. And he ended up hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris! Yes you're right--70 miles per week is too much running for most people but for some reason my body handles it and thrives on it. I topped out at 120 mile weeks when I was training for my ultra in 2012. I know my body really well and it's only when I ignore it that I end up with an injury. Congrats on your marathon! You're obviously a natural.

      Delete