Races

Friday, May 16, 2014

Airing My Dirty Laundry

We've had a new washer and dryer since we moved into this house in January and it took me until today to realize that there's a "Normal" button on each unit. You see, every day we do at least one load of wash. At least. And each time I've mashed the stinky masses into the wash I've either been forced to choose "Quick Wash" or "Heavy Duty." Quick Wash is a 26 minute cycle while Heavy Duty sucks up an enormous amount of time: 1 hour, 18 minutes. So because I care more about being cheap than I do about being stinky and dirty, I have always chosen the "Quick Wash" button.

This is all not entirely unlike my life. Each time I've come to a fork in the road where the path to the left is "Normal" and the path to the right is "Complicated as Fuck, " I tend to not only swerve to the right but do it at lightening-speed, naked on a rope swing.

However, there are perks to not choosing "Normal." Quick Wash saves water and money despite leaving a few marks. Heavy Duty cleans up the stinkiest of laundry despite sucking up time and energy. Both are rewarding options yet both are not "Normal."

So today, for the first time ever, I noticed that right at the top of each dial in the twelve o'clock noon position is a "Normal" cycle button. I put the laundry through the normal wash cycle and then took it out and put it through the normal dry cycle.

And as predictable as ever, the clothes all got clean in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment