Races

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rediscovery

Here is another list in my iPhones notes section written on March 21, 2011 (two years ago!)

Cat food
Paint and brush
Detergent
Dish soap
Waffles
Re-fried beans

Bonecracker
Kickstart my heart

You don't always get what you want, but grace grows in the cracks. 

Retics 307

I always make lists of things I need to get from the store, but the 6 items on this particular list are incredibly random, and this pleases me. Re-fried beans please me. And then I guess "Bonecracker" and "Kickstart My Heart" are songs that I wanted to add to my running playlist (and never did, which needs to be rectified immediately).

"Retics" is short for reticulocytes, which are baby red blood cells. Freddy has a blood disorder and we keep track of his numbers. His body needs to make way more red blood cells than the rest of us because his spleen destroys them at a rapid rate, which in turn affects his hemoglobin levels.

But my favourite part of this section of notes is the quote from who-knows-where (I think it came from my dad, actually): "You don't always get what you want, but grace grows in the cracks." What a timeless truth. Maybe it's under the re-fried beans, but grace is there, waiting to be rediscovered.


3 comments:

  1. Neat random blast from your past. A sort of time capsule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's a good retics number for Fred? was it an average day for him? or was this a low or high one? how often do you track his numbers? (yep, lots of questions )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember anymore, but I do know that he makes way more than the average person. We don't usually look at the retic count but his hemoglobin levels, and normal Hb in kids is 120-130 but his baseline is 90. He gets transfused at numbers below 80.

      Delete