Races

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Suzy, I'm Sorry

Andrew, his daughter Kylah and I were chilling on the couch on Friday night watching cooking shows and talking. I can't remember what Andrew had said but it was (jokingly) self-critical in nature, and Kylah and I turned to simultaneously scowl at him. And without any thought whatsoever, the first thing that came to my mind and out my mouth was, "Andrew! Say sorry............to yourself!" And we all burst out laughing. It just sounded so ridiculous. Then we went on to act it out, how we'd apologize to ourselves, which made it all the more comedic.

But if you think about it, saying sorry to ourselves might not be a bad idea. The kids fight, and when they are tearing each other down I will always tell them to stop hurting each other because we all are so hard on ourselves already--we certainly don't need assistance! Makes sense to me. I bet that the million horrible things we tell ourselves about ourselves are way worse than what anyone else would ever say about us. When bullies get sent to the principals office and then forced to scrub floors as penance for their crime, we all feel better that justice has prevailed. But what if we bully ourselves? I think it's time that we march our asses down to the principal's office and spend some time cleaning our own house. Be nice. Play fair. Practice kindness. Say sorry to yourself.




1 comment:

  1. everyday i have to practice being kind with myself. it is not always easy, though it is certainly worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete