Races

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Game On

Today I played in my first soccer game since 1998. My last game was the day before my very first marathon. I was convinced that today's game would be before my very first coronary. Surprisingly, I hung in there despite sporadic threats from my quads, however, it was pretty obvious out there that I am not a sprinter. My arms and hair were errrrywhere.

I've been a solo athlete for 14 years. When my nose runs, I blow it into my sleeve because nobody is around to get grossed out. When I fail miserably during a race there's nobody else to blame but me. But when I played in the game today I had to give and go with my teammates. I had to not be self-absorbed not out of choice but out of necessity. We trusted and depended on each other.

It still didn't stop me from lifting up my jersey and blowing my nose into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment