Races

Monday, December 10, 2012

Begotten

I was on my way to Rempel's Meats in Abbotsford for the most kickass farmer sausage in the whole wide world when I passed by a church with a sign out front that read: "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son." So, like, I totally know what that means because I grew up in the church and I went to church school and church university and studied theology and poured over biblical studies courses long enough to know that it's a Bible verse. But I assume that a lot of people would read that sign and be like, what the fuck is begotten? And why would someone give away their own son, especially if that someone is God, who is probably a lot nicer than the average dude here on earth? Nothing wrong with average dudes wanting to give away their son, even just for a couple hours of peace. I get that. I have two of them. They can be nasty to their sister and "forget" to flush. But God wanting to give away his son? I don't even want to know what begotten means now. I'm scared of begotten. Petrified. You mix begotten and spiders and I'm pretty sure the world would blow up.

Obviously it's not like that. But my point is, is this whole "God/Jesus" thing is confusing.

We had a young patient come into our clinic on Friday night and his dad sat in the waiting room and chatted with me for a bit. He teaches at an elementary school in Abbotsford and I told him that my kids used to go to a Christian private school out there, and then he started asking me questions about Christianity. He grew up in the Catholic church and was curious as to how Christianity and Catholicism relate to each other. But his main question, one that has obviously left him flabbergasted for years (as it has for most of us!), was the question of how Jesus and God are related. Is God Jesus' father? Jesus is God's son? Was Jesus human? And all the questions that arise (I used the word "arise" for all you theologists out there... and you're welcome) from this belief.

I answered his questions using my own learning experiences, for really, Christianity itself is based on a personal relationship, or an experience, with God. If it was as scientifically proven as gravity and pie (not blueberry, unfortunately... I'm referring to the math equation) then it wouldn't be faith. And if there's no faith, then there's no choice, or risk, or love. Love isn't forced or scientific. A relationship doesn't stay together for the same reasons as the earth is round. It's relational. Personal. It's an experience.

And so when I answered him I told him that based on Christian theology, the best way that I could describe the relationship between God and Jesus would be embodiment. And if that's too big of a word, then I would use the term "possession" although unfortunately, the word possession has negative implications, but because it's easier to wrap the mind around, I will use that term for simplicity's sake. It's as if God possessed humanity in order to reach us. What?

Okay. So God is up there all like, wanting to have a relationship with us but because humans are assholes, we ignore him. So what's the best way that he can relate to us? To become one of us. To possess us. What's the most effective way to get a child's attention? We get down to their level.

Freddy stuttered a bit when he was little, and the speech therapist told me that it would make a world of difference if I were to crouch down to Freddy's level, look into his eyes, and listen to him speak. I did this, and it worked. I soaked up every word and I waited patiently and lovingly for him to relate his words to me. We related to each other. Relationship. Same level, eye to eye. I listened, he spoke, I gave my time and devotion, he gave me his heart.

Maybe it's all a metaphor written by a brilliant writer thousands of years ago, representing the relationship between God and humanity. Or, maybe it really happened. All I know for sure right now is that I begotten some farmer sausage in the oven and I'm starving.



No comments:

Post a Comment