Races

Monday, November 10, 2014

Mileage Monday

I hit 60 miles this week, which shocks me a little bit because I have no idea how I fit it all in. I get asked that question a lot, how I manage these many miles when I lead such a full life and the only answer I can come up with is that I simply make time. Running is how I deal with my anxiety and stress levels and so it's more of a priority than say, painting my nails and blow-drying my hair, or watching whatever shows everyone else watches and talks about on Facebook. Pretty much, I'd way rather walk around looking like a swamp donkey and having got my run in than sitting in Starbucks on Facebook with shiny white sneakers and a fresh set of fake nails. Anyway. Did I convincingly justify my addiction? 

Monday- 7 miles on the treadmill while watching the movie "Enough Said." This is the first time I've ever watched a movie while running, and while I went really super slow, it worked for me. I really liked the movie, and I logged some miles. Win, win.

Tuesday- 11 miles on the treadmill during Callum's nap.  I watched the rest of "Enough Said" and some YouTube videos. Still really slow, but I got it done.

Wednesday- I headed out for a long run but while I was out there, Andrew phoned me to ask when I'd be home because he had the chance to do his long run that day and needed to get started in time to get it done before the sun went down. So I cut it short at 8 miles and then did 4 miles on the treadmill later on when the kids went to bed.

Thursday- My hip is jammed. I know this because it's a chronic problem and I can tell when it happens--my hamstring gets all buggered up and when I run it feels like I'm dragging my leg. So I ran 5 miles and made a massage appointment for Friday.

Friday- My massage therapist Brent fixed me all up and told me not to run on it and to see him next week, so I only ran 5 miles with Lora that night in the trails, in the dark. It was actually a really stupid thing to do, but we didn't get raped or mauled by a bear, so I guess it worked out okay.

Saturday- Lora texted me in the morning and we met super early and knocked out 7 miles before I could even think better of it.

Sunday- I wanted to hit 13 so that I could make a solid 60 for the week, so while Andrew ran outside, and while Callum was sleeping, I ran 5 on the treadmill. Then we hit Kylah's soccer game in Burnaby, came home and I ran 8 miles outside before our date night at El Nopal.

Now Andrew and I are sitting here on the couch while Callum sleeps soundly in bed and we're talking about his last long run this week: 21 miles tomorrow. Seattle is a tough route with a huge hill at about mile 20, so I'm setting him up for a a solid hilly route that mimics race day. Probably a good thing he's not running until tomorrow, seeing as we our El Nopal date night last night.

Happy Running!




2 comments: