Races

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Dance

It seems to be that being able to find purpose for our pain makes it somehow tolerable. Growing pains exist because we are being stretched beyond our physical capabilities. The inner parts of ourselves are forcing us outward and upward and although painful, we wake up the next day and look in the mirror and see growth. My sister Lori has been asked before, "how do you do it?" and she replies, "you just do it; you think you can't but you can." Adversity drops us onto a pathway of hot coals and by reflex, our feet begin to dance.

I guess it's all about perspective that if we let ourselves get stuck in the grief then we won't grow. Grieving is good and healthy. Rolling around in pain, reaching for hot pads, comforting words, reassuring hugs, ice packs and medication is not only appropriate but necessary. Depending on the situation, this grief could play out for years. And maybe, just maybe, the more intense that the pain is, the richer the growth will be when we wake up and look in the mirror. But that's the kicker right there, that at some point we need to wake up, drag our sorry asses to the bathroom and look at ourselves in the mirror.

It's easy to get stuck rolling around in our pain. I did that when I went through my dreadlocks phase, and I'd be a big fat liar if I said that I still don't do it from time to time. In fact, I'm probably doing it right now by writing eight hundred posts about the damn subject. But the difference, and this is what I want to hold onto, is my perspective. When I think about the term "growing pains" I choose to focus on the word "growing" and not "pains." I will feel the pain, ohhhh I will feel it, but I will let my inner parts of myself force me outward and upward so that when I wake up out of the fog and stumble to the bathroom mirror I'll be able to see a stronger Suzy filled to the brim with strength and grace framed by some seriously huge bed head hair.


7 comments:

  1. I just read this in my book "Walking on Water": I look back on my mother's life and I see suffering deepening and strengthening it. In some people I have also seen it destroy. Pain is not always creative; received wrongly, it can lead to alcoholism and madness and suicide. Nevertheless, without it we do not grow."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all about choices, I think. It's how we respond to it. Some go to what is "natural" = addictions. Some go to what is easy for them. I'm convinced when we experience pain, we go to what is "knee-jerk"; and if I don't work on healthy reactions now, then my default is a bad choice. I like how you run, Suzy. Much better than krispie kremes... ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally! You know me...I've always told my kids that they are either making bad choices or good choices. I won't label them as bad kids but I'll tell them when they've made a bad choice because then that empowers them rather than labels and constricts them. And so it should be with us, too... right? We are powerful people able to make good choices and when (not if!) we don't, we live with our consequences. And they're not pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a quote I put on my facebook wall tonight, thinking of Martin Luther King day in January:

    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy".

    Martin Luther King, Jr.

    That's what I'm saying - the real stuff comes out, the "default" stuff - so when I'm not on fire, I can work on my default being a better choice. It's too hard to pick "healthy" when its not my default. Oprah and Rick Warren would call it a "life change" or something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sweet quote in Lori's thing above. Too true.
    I think about this stuff sometimes and I just know that you gotta carry on. You think you can't...but you do...because you have to. Life gives lots of choices. You roll over and let life kick you around or you stay on your feet and laugh at the shit. I like laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Lori... I love that quote. And yes Steve, laughter is key! Being able to laugh at myself has saved my life so many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the program I'm in, I often hear that "pain is mandatory, but suffering is optional". That's often helped me to make changes and pry myself out of misery when something painful starts to own me.

    ReplyDelete