Races

Friday, January 18, 2013

Produce and Product

There's this saying that a lot of Christians say and it goes like this: "God will never give you what you can't handle." This is my interpretation of it: "God gave you a dysfunctional childhood/bad acne/three nipples to toughen you up for the shit that you're going through now as an adult."

I hate that saying. It's totally meaningless! Like, what is even the purpose of saying it? To make the sad and angry person feel better? Like, oooooooh they can "handle" it so they must be super "special." Do you think while they're going through a crisis like the death of a loved one/divorce/sick child that they care at all if they're special? No. Or do they thank the Lord above that they're "strong enough" to handle all of this? NO! At that seemingly God-forsaken moment they want to all of a sudden be not special or strong. They want to be NORMAL. They want their biggest problem of the day to be that they can't find the fucking cucumber on the self-checkout computer screen at Walmart and they could care less if God thinks they're weak because some idiot didn't organize the technological produce section properly.

I have a thought. I have a few, actually, but some have slipped through the cracks of my irrational anger toward the ever-growing problem of finding produce on the self checkout screens. I believe that shit happens just because we are alive. It's not because we're anything special, or that we're stronger than the next guy. There's no reason. It just is.

Everyone needs a reason or a label so that we can fit our pain into a box, put it in a category and file it somewhere. If we have some sort of control over it then we can beat the pain and we win. But maybe pain doesn't need to be conquered. Maybe it needs to be felt.

There's a verse in the Bible (somewhere in the book of Romans) that I have appreciated over the years when I've felt the sting of life and it goes like this: "...we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." I like this verse because it brings me out of the middle of my pain and helps me to see the big picture. If I allow myself to feel the pain I'm in, I'm going to eventually come out the other side as a much better person than when I started.

It's not because I'm strong or special that I was dealt the pain card in the first place but I am willing to let myself feel it. It's not going to be pretty, but there's a finish line in every marathon. I may be bloody and bruised and have stress fractures in my feet but I'll come through the finish with my head held high.

7 comments:

  1. I have heard this "handle it" phrase too; you are right, the speaker is trying to make the person feel better. They sincerely mean well.

    Another version I've heard is, "I don't know how you do it". My answer is, "you just do it; you think you can't, but you can."

    I also think another meaning along with the "handle it" phrase is the idea that God will help you in your troubles. There are many times when I feel like I can't go on, and God carries me through.

    I once heard a preacher say the "don't worry, be happy phrase" as a way to deal with pain. Ridiculous. Obviously he has never faced pain and didn't understand what he's saying.

    Everything natural in me wants to run away from pain - don't we all? But its there and its a choice how to respond to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pain is brutal, messy and saddening but in my opinion it either makes you or brakes you. God used many people in the bible who had suffering not rainbows and lollipops ;) though I could seriously go for ice cream right now. You see I had a stroke 6 years ago and had to learn how to read, write, walk and talk etc. Everything in varying degrees but it was hell and I cried, screamed and even swore but through it all I asked God the toughest question (not because I am some amazing person) God can you use me in this? Will you? Here I am now, running 7 miles in 70 cities, so far I have accomplished 20... God makes things beautiful, that doesn't mean my stroke is gone or my struggles of trying to even talk, or walk in the morning. God is with me and we have become closer and that is what really matters in the end. Bless you for your honesty!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Lori... the Christian guy from the Simpsons that everyone loves to hate has that kind of "don't worry be happy" mentality, as if we can always turn lemons into lemonade if we just force ourselves to be "okay." That nauseating approach to life is embodied in a Simpsons character for a reason: it's ridiculous.

    And EVK, I think you nailed it on the head when you talk about finding *purpose* for the pain. It doesn't mean we have to grin and bear it, it just means that we are able to pull back and see the bigger picture (while still being able to grieve).

    It's a big topic, and I didn't do it justice but I hope I was able to stir up some hearts and open up some minds a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's out of context, that saying. which ticks me off. Stuff happens, and it happens because we live in a dying world messed up by sin. God wants to know what we are going to DO with that. Like are we going to curse God and die, like Job's wife told him to do? Or are we going to pull up our big-girl panties and trust Him anyway.
    That's my 2cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Jen! And pulling up our big girl panties and trusting doesn't mean that we have to be HAPPY about it like so many people seemingly force us to do. We just have to DO it (if we want to grow from it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm...interesting stuff. I don't like those types of sayings either. I get pissed off because people like to say infer that God does these wonderful things for people because they are special...what about the kids that are born poor in some African desert? What about the kids that are born into abusive households? Are they being punished for some offense not yet committed? Or the people that thank God for helping them win the Super Bowl or something...because God must like them better than the guys from the other team. I don't get it.
    I wake up and I feel thankful that I am alive and that I can go to my sink and turn on a faucet and cold water comes out of it. I am thankful for every little gift...but I don't think God chose me to receive them over some guy who has to drink dirty water out of a pond in another country. Some shit just is. We all have hills to climb...I am glad that my hill is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad has taught me (more than any church service ever has) that thankfulness is the key to living life fully and healthfully. And for that I am grateful (lol).

    ReplyDelete