Races

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Big Picture

One of my favourite childhood memories is when I turned ten, my Uncle Phil took me up in one of the little airplanes he used to fly. I was beyond nervous having absolutely no idea what to expect, sitting there in the passenger seat while we sat on the runway, clenching and unclenching my little fists. I vividly remember looking up at him sideways while he looked down at me with his gentle eyes and reassuring smile and asked me if I was ready.

I wasn't.

I actually had a full-on panic attack and I was convinced that I was going to throw-up. Yet uncle Phil sat patiently with me until my anxiety somewhat subsided and then once we were up in the air all of my fear was left behind me like forgotten luggage.

One year ago today, Andrew took me up in an airplane for my birthday. I sat in the passenger seat beside the pilot while Andrew sat behind me. This time I wasn't afraid because I knew what to expect but also because the earth below me held luggage that I couldn't afford to carry that day; I had no problem at all leaving it behind.

It's amazing what a little perspective can bring to our emotional outlook on life. When we're in the thick of things we can't see the forest through the trees. The big picture loses its focus and all of our visions and goals seem to disappear into the fog while we clamor around in crazy desperation to somehow gain back the control we feel we lost. We clench and unclench our little fists to no avail.

But someone comes along with gentle eyes and guides us up out of the mire, through the cloud and fog and into the clear where we can see our luggage for what it is: small and unimportant in the big picture. When we get back down to the earth we don't need to forget the view, for the sky became a part of us and we, if we allow it to, will always have that sky-view perspective on where we are on the ground. We rose up before, we can rise up again.


5 comments:

  1. That was a fun day. I remember letting you fly and you had white knuckles on the control as we ever so slightly drifted left towards a mountain. You were locked into that turn until you figured out where we were heading and that was the end of the mini lesson. Too funny. Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I knew you'd like this post! I don't remember nearly missing the mountain...lol...hmmm... What a cool experience though. I'm so thankful you brought me up there AND you taught me to drive... I'll save that one for another post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Suz, I love this post. Not only because of how beautifully it's written. Not only because of how I love how Andrew brought you through the fog & cloud. But also because you reminded me of the sky-view perspective.

    My dad was a private. I spent many hours in our plane. Flying through the clouds. Looking down below. In my old age & stressed out life I have forgotten what a wonderful peaceful place it was up there.

    Thanks for the reminder. When things are tough I'll remember to look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that you had so many chances to be up there, Andrea! It's a great place to be...

      Delete
  4. that was beautifully written. I liked it so much better than The Puke. :)

    ReplyDelete