Races

Monday, November 19, 2012

Day Thirty

This is my last day of my thirty days of writing! It was such a great experience for me as it was really helpful for me to purge my brain fog rather than just keep it swimming in there for eternity. I would like to keep writing.

I went for this most amazing run yesterday with Lora. It was a 12-miler, starting and finishing from Andrew's house. He wasn't at all thrilled about the ripeness of our post run smells when we stumbled back through his front door so we made sure to shower soon after and then the three of us headed to Red Robin's for some lunch.

So, Andrew's the kind of person who is quick with the spoken word. The speed of his wit can take me aback sometimes. We were walking along White Rock beach in the summertime and there was this cute little family playing together on the grass. I guess their son's name was "Marco" as at one point the dad exclaimed to him in a bit of a shout, "MARCO!" and before the sound of his name even had time to hit my nervous system, Andrew replied with a "POLO!" He has a gift.

Andrew, Lora and I sat and ate our lunch and talked about a guy Lora knows who is taking steroids. I had written a paper on steroid use when I was in university so I was listing off the side effects, one of which can be impotence. So we discussed the irony of it all, how a guy can be so obsessed with looking hunky on the outside but then once he gets the girl, he can't do anything with her. It's a paradox of a hard body and limp junkitalia.

Lora said, "he told me that one day he's going to be the most amazing man to ever walk into a room" to which Andrew wisely replied, "that's his sex--his orgasm is walking into a room and having everyone look at him." Lora and I both looked at each other in shock, realizing just how true that is! That some people can be so insecure in who they are that they so desperately need everyone else to accept them at first sight but then that's as far as they can go. They're unable to connect at a deeper level. They get off before they are even touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment