Races

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Truth

Some people lie a lot. It's weird. I haven't been much of a liar, although I've definitely had some sneaky lying stints in my lifetime, for sure. My personality defects revolve more around you know, like, being self-absorbed, neurotic, and obsessive. Lying has never been something that I struggle with or need to overcome. Which I guess, if I'm truthful, I'm quite pleased about.

I'm actually truthful to a fault. Like, I say TOO much truth. For instance, I am a wee bit drunk right now because I opened up a bottle of wine on Monday night and I really couldn't keep it much past tonight or it would taste bad, and because I'm rather frugal (okay! I'm cheap! whatever!) I decided to drink the rest of it tonight after work. And I needed something to snack on, because wine needs snackifying accompaniment, so I ate a bunch of crackers smothered with cream cheese and pickled jalapeno peppers, and now I'm paranoid that I'll get the stomach flu because it's going around you know, and who wants to throw THAT shit up? Not me.

Anyway.

So I'm not a liar. And I feel smug about it.

There was this one time that I spilled coffee all over my cell phone. I always drink my coffee with copious amounts of cream, and so whenever I spill it (which is often), the ramifications of such spills are costly (old milk stinks like ass). But yet I still thought that when my cell phone stopped working and I brought it into Telus, that for some reason they wouldn't know that I spilled coffee all over it.

NOT TRUE.

Because when I marched up to the counter and indignantly demanded that my cell phone be fixed, I was shocked and horrified that the guy opened up my phone and found milk and coffee sludge crusted onto the battery pack.

It was embarrassing.

I had to admit that yes, I remember spilling coffee all over it and that yes, I am aware that I am responsible for the cost of fixing my phone. We initially hide behind our lies to save face but in the end, we always look like assholes because the truth always comes out. It just does.

As sure as the earth is round, truth always comes out.

It's frightening to accept, but it's also quite freeing, because we don't have to pretend anything anymore. We can just let go, and be. One of my favourite sayings is one that my dad always says and it goes like this: "We are only as sick as our secrets."

Anyway, as much as I'd love to pretend that I'm lounging in a hot tub holding a martini and listening to Kenny G on my surround sound, I must admit that I'm sitting in bed with cracker crumbs all over my shirt, and the only sounds I hear are the tapping of the keys on my keyboard and my morbidly obese cat snoring beside me on the floor (because he's too fat to jump up on the bed).

Truth hurts, but it's freeing. Open it up, clean house, and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment